It always helps to start off the week with the right frame of mind. Huge thanks to Cathryn for sending in today’s guest post!
Cathryn Johnson is self proclaimed health-nut and a content writer for Online MBA Rankings who gives advice on the education, pursuing an online mba and living a healthy life. In her free time she enjoys travel, theater and having fun in the sun.
Great Thinkers – The Benefits of Good Health
by Cathryn Johnson
Many of us, when we think of weight loss, exercise and living a healthy lifestyle, we think like Mark Twain:
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don’t want, drink what you don’t like, and do what you’d rather not.
We focus on the negatives. We think about how hard it will be and all that we will be missing. But the real joy and benefit of good health comes from focusing on the positives of health, what we gain through living well.
Here are ten quotes from great thinkers to challenge, motivate and inspire us to exercise, eat right and live healthier lives:
10 Inspiring Quotes For Healthy Living
1. Buddha (c. 563 BC to 483 BC) – a spiritual teacher from ancient India who founded Buddhism
To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
2. Marcus Valerius Martialis (known in English as Martial) (circa 40 AD – 103 AD) – a Latin poet from Hispania (the Iberian Peninsula) best known for his twelve books of Epigrams
Life is not merely being alive, but being well.
3. Edward Smith-Stanley (1752-1834) – English statesman, three times Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
Those who do not find time for exercise will have to find time for illness.
4. Paul Dudley White (1886 – 1973) – an American physician and cardiologist
A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world.
5. Henry Ward Beecher (1813 – 1887) – a prominent, Congregationalist clergyman, social reformer, abolitionist, and speaker
The body is like a piano, and happiness is like music. It is needful to have the instrument in good order.
6. James Leigh Hunt (1784 – 1859) – an English critic, essayist, poet and writer
The groundwork of all happiness is health.
7. Francois Rabelais (c. 1494 – 1553) – a major French Renaissance writer, doctor and Renaissance humanist
Without health, life is not life; it is only a state of languor and suffering.
8. Francis Bacon (1561 – 1626) – an English philosopher, statesman, scientist, lawyer, jurist and author
A healthy body is a guest-chamber for the soul; a sick body is a prison.
9. Persius (34 AD -62 AD) – a Roman poet and satirist of Etruscan origin
You pray for good health and a body that will be strong in old age. Good — but your rich foods block the gods’ answer and tie Jupiter’s hands.
10. Menander (ca. 342–291 BC) – Greek dramatist, the best-known representative of Athenian New Comedy
Health and intellect are the two blessings of life.
What inspires you to live healthy?