I had to do a double take when I looked at the calendar this week. Is it really September already? Looks like it is, and the farmers market seems content to prove it to me. Not only was there a decent selection of pears, apples, grapes and other fall fruit, the market was completely packed with football fans for the Cal game. Go Bears!
I was particularly impressed with the Asian pears this week at K&J Orchards. I’m not always a big fan of Asian pears, I find they get a fermented taste very quickly if they are too ripe, but this week they blended a perfect mix of sweet and crispy. K&J has about half a dozen varieties, all different and delicious. They are pricey, but worth trying at the height of season.
The legendary Warren pears have appeared at Frog Hollow, but I couldn’t bring myself to choose them over the newly arrived emerald beaut pluots and flavor kings. I’m not letting go of summer quite yet.
It is definitely time to start buying grapes, however. If you make it to the farmers market, sample them all and find the ones you like best. I like them very crisp and sweet, but not too sweet.
Finally, don’t forget to try all the wonderful varieties of peppers. I put them in everything these days, but especially love to cook them up with onions, fresh corn, tomatoes, garlic and cilantro.
Fresh beans and Asian greens and other specialties like bitter melon are also easy to find.
- Collard greens (Green Gulch Farm)
- Asian pear (K&J Orchards)
- Pimentos (Happy Quail Farms)
- Emerald beaut pluots (Frog Hollow Farm)
- Flavor king pluots (Frog Hollow Farm)
- O Henry peach (CandyCot Fruit Co.)
- Early girl tomatoes (Dirty Girl Produce)
- Treviso (Dirty Girl Produce)
- Cipollini onions (Dirty Girl Produce)
- Purslane (Marin Roots Farm)
- Arugula (Marin Roots Farm)