Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This is the first chance I’ve had to read blogs in so long I almost forgot how fun it is! Every single one of these articles is worth reading (except the BS of the week, which is just to scowl at), but definitely don’t miss Marion Nestle’s piece on calories and the Slate article about vitamin supplements.
I included 2 recipes this time because I couldn’t choose.
And the first rule of Salad Club is: you always talk about Salad Club. Now if we could just get Brad Pitt to eat salad without a shirt on….
I read many more wonderful articles than I post here each week. If you’d like to see more or just don’t want to wait until Friday, be sure to follow me on Twitter (@summertomato) or the Summer Tomato Facebook fan page. For complete reading lists join me on the social bookmarking sites StumbleUpon and Delicious. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you there. (Note: If you want a follow back on Twitter introduce yourself with an @ message).
Best Links of the Week
- How many extra calories cause weight gain? <<3,500 calories does add up to 1 lb of fat, but that doesn’t mean you can control your energy balance by doing math. Definitely read this post by Marion Nestle if you’re trying to lose weight. (Food Politics)
- The Vita Myth <<Not only are most vitamin supplements ineffective, some may also do harm. (Slate)
- Legumes and Whole Grains: Any Role in Diabetes? <<Yes, they probably help. This is just to show you that there is some evidence against an all meat diet. (Diabetic Mediterranean Diet Blog)
- Will Vegetarian Humans One Day ‘Emit’ More Carbon Dioxide & Methane Than Cows? <<Speaking of beans… this is really funny. (TreeHugger)
- The First Rule of Salad Club <<Need inspiration to eat healthier at work? Why not start a salad club? This is brilliant. (Geek’s Dream Girl)
- Local produce hard to find in winter? <<Never fear, the Nutrition Diva is here with suggestions. (Nutrition Data)
- Erik Chopin’s New Reality Show <<BS of the week. They just won’t stop with The Biggest Loser thing, will they? If one torturous TV show can’t cure him, maybe 2 will! Here’s how I feel about BL. (Diets In Review)
- 48% of Fast Food Soda Fountains Contain Bacteria that Grew in Feces <<This includes Diet Coke, sorry guys. I can’t imagine why this problem would be limited to soda from fast food chains either. (Tree Hugger)
- Chickpea, Lentil, and Vegetable Stew <<What Dana Treat makes when she doesn’t want to think. But I’m thinking about making this recipe now! (Dana Treat)
- Cioppino’s Not Cheapino, But Totally Worth It! <<Cioppino (no relation) is one of my favorite foods on earth, and Chef John’s awesome video recipe made me drool. (I crack myself up sometimes). (Food Wishes)
What inspired you this week?