Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This week learn why banning healthy food is a good idea, industrial chicken will kill us all, and cows are being fed candy instead of corn.
Want to see all my favorite links? Be sure to follow me on on Delicious. I also share links on Twitter @summertomato, Google+ and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you. (And yes, I took that pepper heart pic myself).
Links of the week
- Investigation: Drug Resistance, Chicken And 8 Million UTIs <<If you aren’t worried about antibiotic use in livestock and poultry, you should be. (Wired)
- Banning “Healthy Food” From Our Diet <<I love the ideas here. I’m not sure this is the best approach, but I can’t tell you how many people have told me they don’t like “vegetables or healthy foods.” So much of this game is psychological. (Huffington Post)
- Farmers are dealing with corn shortages by feeding cows candy instead <<BS of the week. I mean I guess it makes sense, since most of the corn goes to making candy anyway. (Grist)
- Drop the Pasta, Dad, and No One Gets Hurt <<Are your kids making you fat? If so (no point in kidding yourself), there’s some great tips at the end of this article. (NY Times)
- 30 Minutes of Daily Exercise Does the Trick: Same Effect in Half the Time <<Shorter workouts more effective than longer ones? Interesting stuff here. (ScienceDaily)
- How to Make Summer Your Training Partner <<Really cool new data on training in the heat. (NY Times)
- Entertaining nutrition research: “nutrifluff” <<Hahaha, nutrifluff. We’re bombarded with it. (Food Politics)
- Gender Differences in Fat Metabolism <<Super interesting info on how women store fat. Geeky chicks, you’ll love this. (Mark’s Daily Apple)
- Clear Links Found Between Inflammation, Bacterial Communities and Cancer <<In my opinion, the intersection of gut flora, nutrition and disease is one of the most interesting new subjects in biology. (ScienceDaily)
- Roasted Tomato Corn Soup with Yogurt & Basil <<Summer in a bowl. I love it. (Not Eating Out In New York)
What inspired you this week?