If you have been meaning to go to the farmers market but still haven’t gotten around to it, I strongly suggest you make it happen next week. Some of these Spring treats are only available a few weeks out of the year, and they are peaking right now.
This week I bought young fava beans from Iacopi Farm. Normally fava beans require a substantial amount of work to prepare, including shelling, blanching and removing the tough skin of each bean with a pairing knife. When young however, fava beans can be roasted and eaten whole. Last night I put mine in the oven with tomatoes, green olives, chili flakes and anchovies, then sprinkled on capers, parsley and lemon juice when I pulled them out. It was amazing.
Strawberries are also particularly special right now. At Dirty Girl Produce I found strawberries from both first year plants and second year plants, and I was astounded by the difference. Apparently as strawberry plants get older they produce smaller, sweeter, more concentrated fruit. These made for the most intesely flavored berries I found at the market. The young berries were also wonderful though, big sweet and more juicy than the second years. I bought both. Can you tell which is which?
The flowering kale rabe was gone this week, but asparagus is available in all sizes and colors. The variety of onions right now is remarkable.
Finally, since I have been interested in Moroccan cooking lately I have been reading a lot about an ingredient called preserved lemons. I bought one this week from Boulette’s Larder and used it to make the best hummus I have ever had in my life.
- Baby artichokes (Iacopi Farm)
- Young fava beans (Iacopi Farm)
- 1st year strawberries (Dirty Girl Produce)
- 2nd year strawberries (Dirty Girl Produce)
- Tangelos (Hamada Farms)
- Meyer lemons (Hamada Farms)
- Rainbow chard (Capay Organics)
- Sugar snap peas (Capay Organics)
- Endive (Madison Growers)
- Mediterranean cucumbers (Madison Growers)
- Leek (Marin Root Farms)
- Spring onion (Marin Root Farms)
- Yellow onion (Marin Root Farms)
- Carrots (Star Route Farm)
- Tatsoi (Star Route Farm)
- Arugula (Star Route Farm)
- Asparagus (Zuckerman’s Farm)
- Tangelo (Peredez Farms)
- Italian parsley (Chue’s Farm)
- Baby bok choy (Chue’s Farm)
- Garlic (Chue’s Farm)
- Firm tofu (Hodo Soy)
- Preserved lemon (Boulette’s Larder)
- Red pepper anchovies (Boulette’s Larder)
What did you find at the market this week?