Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
Before we get started, I’ve been collecting feedback from readers on what you do and don’t like about Summer Tomato and how I can make it better moving forward. If you have 2 minutes, please go to my 7 question survey and let me know what you think.
Thanks in advance for your time. I’ll be sending out a newsletter next week with answers to commonly asked questions and requests.
On the web this week I found a simple shopping technique that can help you make healthier choices and the best cooking and recipe iPhone apps. I also explored the mysterious case of the missing mango and learned how and why to get more exercise without breaking a sweat.
I read many more wonderful articles than I post here each week. If you’d like to see more or just don’t want to wait until Friday, be sure to follow me on Twitter (@summertomato) or the Summer Tomato Facebook fan page. For a complete reading list join me on Digg. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you.
Links of the week
- Paying by cash helps keep you healthy <<It seems customers find it “painful” to pay with cash and therefore restrict their shopping lists to healthier items. But for the record, I find nothing painful about shopping at farmers markets. (Telegraph)
- The Best Cooking and Recipe Apps for iPhone <<A little help from technology never hurts. Here’s a list of useful apps for iPhone users. (Lifehacker)
- Badvertising: Odwalla and the case of the missing mango <<BS of the week. “1 Whole pureed mango” per bottle, yet 0% vitamin C. Something’s fishy. (Weighty Matters)
- 10 Simple Ways to Increase Your Physical Activity <<You don’t have to hit the gym to burn more calories. Here’s some great advice from some of my favorite fitness bloggers. (Obesity Panacea)
- Walking 6 to 9 Miles a Week May Help Save Memory <<And in case you weren’t clear about why you need more activity in your life, here’s one reason. (Medline)
- Eating watermelon could lower your blood pressure <<Granted they only used watermelon extract in this study, but it’s still an interesting finding. (Los Angeles Times)
- Science Explains Why Airline Food Sucks <<Not really, but it’s a start. Sensory (in this case auditory) distraction can interfere with your enjoyment of food. Best to set aside the time to eat a meal mindfully and enjoy every bite. This also makes you more likely to eat less. (ABC News)
- How to Make Mustard <<I’ve always wondered how to make mustard. (Hunter Angler Gardner Cook)
- Black Rice Bran May Help Fight Disease-Related Inflammation <<Black rice bran has been shown to reduce inflammation in several studies now. (ScienceDaily)
- Sichuan Style Stir-Fried Chinese Long Beans <<I absolutely love Chinese long beans, and they happen to be in season. (Simply Recipes)