Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This week Trader Joe’s salads get E. coli, BPA is hurting us more than we realized (by a lot), and a 3-minute alternative to potato chips.
Want to see all my favorite links? (There’s lots more). Be sure to follow me on on Delicious. I also share links on Twitter @summertomato, Google+ and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you. (And yes, I took that pepper heart pic myself).
Links of the week
- California companies recall more than 180,000 pounds of salads, wraps over E. coli outbreak <<Since probably more than a few of you eat salads and shop at Trader Joe’s, you should probably know about this. (The Oregonian)
- Trans-fat: FDA proposes to eliminate GRAS status <<Hey, check it out! The FDA is doing its job!! (Food Politics)
- Bisphenol A Is Affecting Us at Much Lower Doses Than Previously Thought <<This is pretty scary. Doses ten to forty times lower than previously thought can impact health. (ScienceDaily)
- A Beginner’s Guide: Why You Should Practice Meditation and How to Get Started <<Though we probably didn’t need seven full paragraphs on why meditation is kinda-sorta paleo, it’s a good primer and worth the read. (Mark’s Daily Apple)
- OBJECT OF INTEREST: CHEESE POWDER <<A fascinating glimpse into the world of processed food. (The New Yorker)
- Diet clue to why we over-eat <<Not enough protein? It’s conceivable. (New Zealand Herald)
- Heavy but healthy people still at risk of heart disease <<I’ve long been suspicious of the argument that metabolic health = total health. Here’s some new evidence suggesting otherwise, especially regarding obesity. (Medline)
- Microwave Kale for a Healthy Alternative to Potato Chips <<I’m a little surprised by this, but it definitely seems worth trying. (Lifehacker)
- A Beginner’s Guide to the Most Confusing Cooking Terms <<I learned more here than I expected. Turns out I was just ignoring this stuff all along. Have I mentioned lately that cooking isn’t my strong suit? (Lifehacker)
- perfect, uncluttered chicken stock <<It’s soup season! If you haven’t learned to love soup as much as I do, this recipe will show you the error of your ways. (smitten kitchen)
What inspired you this week?