Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
The interwebs gave us lots of great healthy food tips this week, from an unexpected benefit of eating (and smelling) real, quality food to peeling a mango like a zen master. There is also a great article on DIY packed lunch tips and some good news about beer.
I read many more wonderful articles than I post here each week. If you’d like to see more or just don’t want to wait until Friday, be sure to follow me on Twitter (@summertomato) or the Summer Tomato Facebook fan page. For complete reading lists join me on the social bookmarking sites StumbleUpon and Delicious. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you there. (Note: If you want a follow back on Twitter introduce yourself with an @ message).
Links of the week
- Confused about nutrition? Eat food! <<Marion Nestle elaborates on her position regarding single nutrient science and why we’re better off just eating food. (Food Politics)
- Complex smells make food more filling <<One of the reasons I emphasize real, high-quality foods on this blog is because they are so much more satisfying and contribute profoundly to a better quality of life. A new study suggests that their wonderful smells may be partially responsible. (New Scientist)
- Another perspective on the sodium wars <<I always love to read Monica Reinagel’s perspective on nutrition trends. Here she elaborates on sodium and high blood pressure. (Nutrition Data)
- Beer for the Bones? <<That’s right. The silicon present in some beers may contribute to bone health. I wouldn’t start drinking more to prevent osteoporosis, but it’s nice to fantasize right? (HealthDay)
- The Zen of Peeling a Mango <<It’s mango season, Mangoes are good and healthy, Easy to peel. (Who doesn’t want to start the weekend with a mango haiku?) (ReadyMade)
- A Butcher’s Tips for Avoiding Cuts in the Kitchen <<Safety first. Playing in the kitchen is fun, but it is easy to hurt yourself. Learn to handle a knife safely from the pros. (Lifehacker)
- 8 Foods That Will Hide Your Bad Breath <<I haven’t written much about Valentine’s Day this year, but a little good breath could never hurt anyone. (Dumb Little Man)
- How to cultivate the packed lunch habit & save <<I’m a big fan of lunch, habits and DIY foods. Saving money doesn’t suck either. This article is full of great tips. (Stone Soup)
- You Know About Insulin. And Now, the REST of the Story . . . <<People LOVE to over-simplify health and nutrition. Insulin gets blamed for a lot, and rightly so, but keep in mind there is a lot more going on than just carbs and insulin spikes. (Diabetic Mediterranean Diet Blog)
- Farro & Winter Vegetables Recipe <<I love Amy. I love seasonal vegetables. And for some reason I’ve never cooked with farro. Something is wrong with this story and I think this recipe solves it. (Cooking With Amy)
What inspired you to eat well this week?