Welcome back to For The Love of Food. We’ve got some great stuff for you here this week, including my guest post at the renowned MizFitOnline and the first ever “B.S. of the week.”
Submissions of your own best food and health articles are also welcome, just drop me an email using the contact form.
For The Love of Food
- When Is A Calorie Not A Calorie <<MizFit wanted to know why some calories have smaller impact than others. I give all the gory science details in this post.
- New Farmers Market Finds Home at the Metreon <<New 7 day farmers market at the Metreon theater in San Francisco (via @alohalizzie).
- 33 Healthiest Foods On Earth <<B.S. of the week. Healthy food advice coming from the food industry? I’m sure my health is their #1 concern. Very disappointing, Lifehacker.
- Politics of the Plate: The Price is Wrong <<An insightful look into how and why we do not pay enough money for our food, from Gourmet (via Chef2Video).
- Stormtrooper Breakfast Cereal <<You might as well come to accept the fact that I’m a huge Star Wars nerd (from Serious Eats).
- Updated Recommendations for Calcium and vitamin D <<People are finally starting to acknowledge that calcium is virtually useless as a supplement and vitamin D is where it’s at for bone health. Thanks Nutrition Data!
- How To Maintain A Healthy Lifestyle When You’re Too Busy To Care <<Personally I think you should never be too busy to care about your health, but in case you struggle with it here is a simple starter kit from Dumb Little Man.
- Sweet pea gazpacho <<Springtime version of a summer classic, recipe from Joanne Weir.
- Whole-grain cereal and other ‘healthy’ foods that fool <<So rarely does the main stream media (MSNBC) get it right, I thought I’d share. Just ignore what they say about calcium and osteoporosis–calcium intake is not related to this disease.
- Watch out for web diet scams!! <<Great tips on how to avoid bogus diet scams online (from Eleanor @ Make Friends with Food)
What great articles did you read this week?