Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This week fun is necessary for weight loss, how self-identity shapes success, and why pregnant women need more fish.
Want to see all my favorite links? (There’s lots more). Be sure to follow me on on Delicious. I also share links on Twitter @summertomato, Google+ and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you. (And yes, I took that pepper heart pic myself).
Links of the week
- Losing Weight May Require Some Serious Fun <<New research shows that your mindset about exercise (is it fun or punishment?) is instrumental in determining how much good it does you. I told ya so. (NY Times)
- Overestimating How Hard We Exercise <<And it seems we are about as good at estimating how much we exercise as we are at determining how much we eat. (NY Times)
- How to Change Your Beliefs and Stick to Your Goals for Good <<Psychologically, few things are as important for changing your habits than what you believe about yourself. This is why I encourage you to become a foodist and not someone who just happens to want to look better in your clothes. (James Clear)
- Is it Really “Scientifically Impossible” to Keep Your Weight Off? <<Great article by Yoni Freedhoff explaining why it isn’t exactly fair to claim that long-term weight loss is impossible. Isn’t there a chance that the restriction-based methods we’ve been given are fundamentally flawed? (Weighty Matters)
- The Frustratingly Slow Pace of Making Changes <<I know you’re impatient. So am I. But real change takes time. Here are some tips for developing a more productive mental framework for accomplishing great things. (Zen Habits)
- Cell phones negatively affect male fertility, new study suggests <<Eeeek! Careful out there boys. (ScienceDaily)
- Health Officials Call for More Fish in Diets of Children and Pregnant Women <<Finally. This has been a long time coming. Better nutrition is more important than trying to remove all toxins from your diet. (NY Times)
- Protein and Muscle: The Basics <<I get a lot of questions about protein and building muscle. Here’s a nice summary. (Runner’s World)
- The Best Marinades for Tender Meats: Ones with Plenty of Salt <<I’m so glad someone finally explained this to me. Bye bye acid marinades. (Lifehacker)
- carrot salad with tahini and crisped chickpeas <<Something about carrots and tahini gets me all hot and bothered. Can’t wait to try this recipe. (smitten kitchen)
What inspired you this week?