Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This week Real Food lays the smack down on diets, running won’t combat poor eating, and beer is meat’s best friend.
Want to see all my favorite links? (There’s lots more). Be sure to follow me on on Delicious. I also share links on Twitter @summertomato, Google+ and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you. (And yes, I took that pepper heart pic myself).
Links of the week
- Science Compared Every Diet, and the Winner Is Real Food <<As some have pointed out, I’ve been saying this for awhile. Nice of the media to start catching up. (The Atlantic)
- 1 in 8 deaths linked to air pollution, World Health Organization says <<7M people a year are killed by air pollution. That’s depressing. And preventable. (LA Times)
- Health-care professionals should prescribe sleep to prevent, treat metabolic disorders, experts argue <<Still struggling with weight and metabolic problems? It might be time to focus on your sleeping habits (ScienceDaily)
- When We Think Eating Out is Worth It, and When We Don’t <<Love this perspective on life and values. (The Kitchn)
- Why Runners Can’t Eat Whatever They Want <<Some healthy mythbusting about “burning it off.” (Wall Street Journal)
- REPROGRAMMING INFLAMMATION WITH MEDITATION <<Yet another benefit of meditation practice. (Dr. Weil)
- Being Mindful of Your Stress <<An excellent reminder of how mindfulness can help us identify what holds us back from well-being. (Zen Habits)
- Beer marinade could reduce levels of potentially harmful substances in grilled meats <<Sometimes the science gods come together and deliver us something like this. Hallelujah! (note: this is a really small study, so don’t take it too seriously. I just thought it was fun.) (ScienceDaily)
- Can Exercise and an Occasional Drink Boost Eye Health? <<If vision is a concern for you, exercise and moderate alcohol seem to help substantially. (Medline)
- Roman-Style Braised Artichokes <<Artichokes are one of my favorite foods, but I’ve never tried braising them. That will end this season. (Simply Recipes)
What inspired you this week?