Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This week celery is an aphrodisiac, chewing cuts calories, and kids love meditation (so you should too).
Want to see all my favorite links? (There’s lots more). Be sure to follow me on on Delicious. I also share links on Twitter @summertomato, Google+ and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you. (And yes, I took that pepper heart pic myself).
Links of the week
- What the Exercise Habit Did For Me <<This is both inspirational and actionable. You’ll find it particularly useful if regular exercise has been hard for you to adopt. (Zen Habits)
- How Fat May Hurt the Brain, and How Exercise May Help <<Fascinating new research on the benefits of exercise, even in light of new data on the dangers of body fat. (NY Times)
- CHEW SLOWER, EAT LESS <<Yep. More research that more chewing causatively reduces calorie consumption. It isn’t easy, but it’s a great habit to develop. (Dr. Weil)
- Mindful meditation at school gives kids tools for emotional expression <<This is so cool. Read to the bottom. (LA Times)
- Most Popular Meal Planning App: Cook Smarts <<People ask me about meal planning tools all the time. The jury has spoken. (Lifehacker)
- Celery’s an aphrodisiac — too bad no one told Steve Buscemi <<I’m mainly sharing this for the Portlandia episode with Steve Buscemi. So good. (Grist)
- BPA linked to prostate cancer, study shows <<Use plastic ever? Have a prostate? I have bad news for you. (ScienceDaily)
- How To Slice an Avocado <<I remember when I first learned to cook, this was the most amazing revelation. (The Kitchn)
- Infections Linked to Chinese Seafood Markets in New York <<Be really careful with imported seafood, OK? (NY Times)
- Ma Po Tofu with Ground Lamb <<One of the most interesting recipes I’ve seen in a long time. Also a fabulous way to warm up your winter. (Wild Greens and Sardines)
What inspired you this week?