Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This week processed bread and cheese pretend to be less bad for you, how vitamins sabotage your workout, and the real formula for meaningful weight loss.
Want to see all my favorite links? (There’s lots more). Be sure to follow me on on Delicious. I also share links on Twitter @summertomato, Google+ and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you. (And yes, I took that pepper heart pic myself).
Links of the week
- Why Nutrition Is So Confusing <<Gary Taubes (author of Why We Get Fat, and Good Calories, Bad Calories) explains the grim reality of the state of nutrition science, and why it has failed to produce a reliable method for weight loss. (NY Times)
- Subway Bread Is About to Change in a Drastic Way <<Subway recently announced that it will be removing an ingredient from its bread that is also used to make yoga mats puffy. I’m sure their food will become a beacon of health once this happens. Errr wait, it was already a beacon of health, right? I’m confused. (TIME)
- Kraft Removes Artificial Preservatives from Cheese Slices <<Hahahahaha! This one is even more amusing than Subway. Have you ever wondered what American “cheese” actually is? Give it a try, it’s fun. (WLTX)
- Why Vitamins May Be Bad for Your Workout <<I think we can all agree that the overly simplistic “antioxidants are good, free radicals are bad” argument can be put to rest. Biology is complicated, you guys. (NY Times)
- The brutal cost of a cheap chicken <<It’s amazing how little we know about the systems that produce our food. Even those of us who care about this stuff rarely see the whole story. (Grist)
- Mysteries of Energy Balance and Weight Loss <<One of the main reasons diets stop working. And a bit of perspective. (Whole Health Source)
- The Power of Gradual and Consistent <<I love this perspective in life, and in health. (Mark’s Daily Apple)
- 5 Easy and Effective Ways to Eat Less <<Love this interview with Stephan Guyenet about the real ways to eat less and lose weight. (Evidence Magazine)
- My Winter Morning Coffee Ritual: Preheat the Mug to Keep Coffee Hot <<I do this year round, since it never really gets warm here in San Francisco. A great tip. (The Kitchn)
- Sake Mushrooms Recipe <<This sounds so simple and delicious. I can’t wait to try it. (101 Cookbooks)
What inspired you this week?