Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This week metals lurk in makeup and drinking water, root-to-stalk is the new nose-to-tail, and making sense of juicing.
Want to see all my favorite links? (There’s lots more). Be sure to follow me on on Delicious. I also share links on Twitter @summertomato, Google+ and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you. (And yes, I took that pepper heart pic myself).
Links of the week
- Is There Danger Lurking in Your Lipstick? <<I admittedly think less about what I put on my body than what I put in it, but that’s changing. Women (and especially children) should probably keep in mind that makeup may not be innocuous. (NY Times)
- Root-to-stalk: How to use all parts of the vegetable <<Want to save some money on your food expenses? Try using all parts of the vegetables you buy. A fascinating read. (SF Chronicle)
- Juicing: Healthy Habit or Blood Sugar Bomb? <<People still seem to be really confused about juicing (check the comments here if you need proof). Here’s a great summary of the pros and cons. (Nutrition Diva)
- Celery, Artichokes Contain Flavonoids That Kill Human Pancreatic Cancer Cells <<Remember when I said all real foods are superfoods? Here’s the latest example. (ScienceDaily)
- Copper may play key role in Alzheimer’s disease <<I’m not ready to panic over this one study, but the potential danger of copper in drinking water is definitely a story to watch. (LA Times)
- General Mills wants the FDA to define “whole grain” <<Think this is about health? No way. It’s all about marketing. Here’s more on “whole grains” versus intact grains. (Food Politics)
- HEALTHY BEHAVIORS TRUMP MILD MEMORY PROBLEMS <<Don’t smoke, eat your veggies and get some exercise to keep memory sharp at any age. (Dr. Weil)
- Ask the Diva: Why Am I So Hungry During My Period? <<Sometimes being female feels like a curse. Here’s some reasons not to let it bum you out too much, and some great tips on dealing with PMS induced hunger. (Nutrition Diva)
- The Best Way to Keep Guacamole Green <<An unusual trick, but if you love guac as much as I do it is worth a try. (The Kitchn)
- Yellow Tomato Bloody Mary Recipe <<Hey, it’s summertime. Who can resist a homemade bloody mary recipe? (101 Cookbooks)
What inspired you this week?