Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This week your great-grandma’s bad habits make you less healthy, concerned scientists lay the smackdown on the Farm Bill, and Cookie Monster offers mindful eating advice.
Want to see all my favorite links? (There’s lots more). Be sure to follow me on on Delicious. I also share links on Twitter @summertomato, Google+ and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you. (And yes, I took that pepper heart pic myself).
Links of the week
- 11 Trillion Reasons <<Fabulous commentary on a new report from the Union of Concerned Scientists about why the government really, seriously needs to stop with the massive junk food subsidies. Bravo, Bittman. Bravo. (New York Times)
- You think the FDA gets to approve all food additives as safe? Not a chance. <<And while we’re talking politics, how do you think food additives are handled by the FDA? Shockingly badly. (Food Politics)
- High Lifetime Costs for Type 2 Diabetes <<The lifetime cost of type 2 diabetes is $85,000 on average. Something to chew on next time you complain about the price of real food. (Also, review story #1). (ScienceDaily)
- How Sleep Loss Adds to Weight Gain <<Readers of Foodist already know that sleep deprivation reduces willpower, and therefore increases your risk of overeating. A new study provides new evidence that sleep deprivation reduces brain activity in areas associated with impulse control (frontal lobes) and also increases desire for high calorie foods, even beyond hunger levels. A doubly whammy. Get those ZZZs guys. (New York Times)
- Obesity among low-income preschoolers drops slightly <<Finally some good news regarding childhood obesity. The trend seems to be reversing. Thank you Michelle Obama, Jamie Oliver, Michael Pollan and everyone else who is working tirelessly make these issues a national priority. (LA Times)
- Walking to Work Cuts Risk of Diabetes and High Blood Pressure <<Gonna go out on a limb here and say that walking anywhere cuts risk of diabetes and high blood pressure, so long as you do it daily. (ScienceDaily)
- The Start to Finish Guide to Saving Time and Money on Food Prep <<Great tips! (Lifehacker)
- Great-Grandmother’s Cigarette Habit Could Be the Cause of Child’s Asthma <<Yet another study shows that unhealthy habits can affect the health of families for multiple generations, even ones that never met each other! This is so disturbing to me. If I get some horrible disease because of something my great-grandma did I’m going to be livid. (ScienceDaily)
- The Pure Magic of Oil-Poached Tomatoes <<’Tis summer tomato season, and I’ve never tried poaching them. Have you? Thanks Shannon for the tip. (The Kitchn)
- Sesame Street: Me Want It (But Me Wait) <<Mindful eating tips from… Cookie Monster?! I love it! (Seriously though, this is amazing). Thanks Aubrey for the tip. (Sesame Street)
What inspired you this week?