Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This week, the final coffin nail for low-fat diets, how to get kids to eat healthier and the truth about food expiration dates.
Want to see all my favorite links? Be sure to follow me on on Delicious. I also share links on Twitter @summertomato, Google+ and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you. (And yes, I took that pepper heart pic myself).
Links of the week
- Which Diet Works? <<I’m not sure why it still shocks people that the quality of your food impacts how its calories impact you, but here we are again. Guess who eats the healthiest… ? (New York Times)
- Kids Who Cook Are Hungrier for Healthy Food Choices <<People often ask me how to get their kids to eat healthier. The answer: cook with them. (ScienceDaily)
- What Do These Expiration Dates on my Food Really Mean? <<The answer may surprise you. (Lifehacker)
- Remember This Every Time the Food Industry Claims They’re Trying to Help <<They’re really just trying to get you to like them so you’ll buy more of their poison. Don’t take candy from strangers. (Weighty Matters)
- District’s needy get fruit and vegetable Rx <<Definitely one of the coolest food and health success stories I’ve ever read. We need more of this. (Washington Post)
- How Junk Food and Sodas Ruin Kids’ Teeth in Developing Countries <<Need another incentive to kick the soda habit? This should do it. (The Atlantic)
- Use This Chart to Determine When Your Favorite Fruits Are In Season <<Very cool, and useful. (Lifehacker)
- What Puts Fat Into Fat Cells, and What Takes it Out? <<This post is really about how weight regulation is inseparable from neuroscience. As you might imagine, I completely agree. (Whole Health Source)
- Moderate Coffee Consumption Offers Protection Against Heart Failure, Study Suggests <<Good news everyone! P.S. It’s not new. (ScienceDaily)
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp <<Simple, healthy and delicious. Triple win!!! (Simply Recipes)
What inspired you this week?