Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
Why the Heart Attack Grill is the least of our worries, how to feel more full from your breakfast, and why we should all just get along.
Want to see all my favorite links? Be sure to follow me on on Digg. I also share links on Twitter (@summertomato), Google+ and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you.
Links of the week
- The Heart Attack Grill Is Not The Problem <<Great insight by Yoni Freedhoff about why the sensationalist headlines on this story are missing the point. (Weighty Matters)
- Families That Eat Together May Be the Healthiest, New Evidence Confirms <<And just in case you’re skeptical about Yoni’s conclusion above, here’s some data. (ScienceDaily)
- Does the Ratio of Omega-6 Fats Really Matter? <<Props to Monica Reinagel for calling BS of the week on Harvard’s nutrition department. Tell ’em girl! (Nutrition Diva)
- Let’s put an end to ‘dietary tribalism’ <<One thing I love about Summer Tomato readers is we have a good representation of all dietary philosophies, from vegan to paleo. Love this piece reminding us that we have more in common than we think. (Grist)
- Want to Feel Fuller After Breakfast and Lunch? Toss Some Almonds in Your Cereal <<The analysis here is kind of lame, mainly because they credit “low GI” instead of the high-fat almond itself. But at any rate it is an interesting finding, and agrees with my personal experience. (The Atlantic)
- Obesity Epidemic Fueling Rise in Rheumatoid Arthritis Among Women <<Few people realize the link between arthritis and diet. (ScienceDaily)
- Learn About and Solve Three Common Cooking Mistakes with These Recipe “Wheels of Misfortune” <<This handy info graphic is put out by America’s Test Kitchen, so it’s almost certainly all awesome advice. (Lifehacker)
- Gluten Intolerance (Video) <<I go back and forth on the whole “gluten is evil” bandwagon, but I like Dr. Weil’s perspective here.
- The “What the hell is wrong with you, you have a family, stop eating like this!” Restaurant <<Leave it to Conan to call it like it is. This slideshow is hilarious. (Team Coco)
- SHITAKE MUSHROOM + LENTIL ASIAN TACOS <<I’m not one to think tacos can be improved upon, but these look pretty damn good. (Sprouted Kitchen)
What inspired you this week?