Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
Before we get to this week’s top stories I want to announce that I’ll be out of the country for the next two weeks (going to Japan, suggestions welcome!) for my first non-work related vacation in about 5 years (woohoo!). I’ve worked hard to get a full two weeks of new blog posts scheduled for while I’m away, but unfortunately the Friday link posts and farmers market updates will have to wait until I get back.
This week, a wonderful (and true) fish story, lots of bad science, and some interesting news about diet soda.
Want to see all my favorite links? Be sure to follow me on on Digg. I also share links on Twitter (@summertomato), Google+ and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you.
Links of the week
- Fishing for Wild Salmon in Alaska <<A wonderful, inspiring story about how the wild salmon industry is thriving, and unapologetically sustainable. (Eating Well)
- What Reading That Eat Chocolate be Thinner Article Actually Told Me <<Once again Yoni Freedhoff demolishes an over-sensationalized news story. What would we do without him? (Weighty Matters)
- New Evidence On Effects of Green Coffee Beans in Weight Loss <<BS of the week. I’m gonna guess that I’m not the only person unconvinced that looking at 16 young people for 22 weeks is enough to prove a random supplement is “a safe, effective, inexpensive way to lose weight.” (ScienceDaily)
- Too Much Sitting Can Kill You, Study Suggests <<Interestingly, this sensational headline is actually true. (Medline)
- 10 Bad Cooking Habits You Should Break <<A decent list, worth a gander. (Huffington Post)
- Health Impact, Interplay of Diet Soft Drinks and Overall Diet Unraveled <<A clever study design. Basically eating healthy without diet soda is best, but eating healthy with diet soda is better than eating unhealthy with or without diet soda. Make sense? (ScienceDaily)
- Nutritionist’s Notebook: Importance of fiber <<This is a little oversimplified but I like the take home message. (Food Politics)
- Two Things that Mean Lifelong Health (Video) <<I love this. Would you have guessed that it’s physical activity and social connections? (Dr. Weil)
- BEET GREEN CHOPPED SALAD <<Beet greens are entirely underrated, and this salad looks delicious. (Sprouted Kitchen)
- Cadbury Eggs <<And speaking of chocolate and soda, this cartoon made me laugh. (xkcd)
What inspired you this week?