Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
Our oceans seem to be in much worse shape than anyone imagined, food irradiation is back in the forefront of discussions and someone wants to feed you a shit sandwich. All this and more today in my top 10 food and health articles of the week.
Want to see all my favorite links? Be sure to follow me on on Digg. I also share links on Twitter (@summertomato) and the Summer Tomato Facebook fan page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you.
Links of the week
- World’s oceans in ‘shocking’ decline <<Everyone should read this. Please share it. (BBC)
- Should food irradiation return to the table? <<The descriptions of what happens to food that has been “over-irradiated” scares me. What do you guys think, is it really safer? (Los Angeles Times)
- Chocolate milk vs. OJ <<BS of the week. Though I agree with the notion that kids don’t need to be drinking calories, the argument here that OJ is worse than chocolate milk because it lacks protein is completely asinine. There are no protein deficient children in LAUSD. (Los Angeles Times)
- High-Dose Statins May Increase Diabetes Risk <<Just a friendly reminder that statins don’t get you off the hook in terms of eating well. Reducing heart disease is nice, but picking up diabetes isn’t. (Medline)
- Obese Dieters’ Brain Chemistry Works Against Their Weight-Loss Efforts <<It seems deprivation diets may be even less effective for those who are already overweight. Why not try a more sensible approach instead? (ScienceDaily)
- Restaurants revamping menus in response to calorie count rules <<I love watching low-quality restaurants scramble when they get caught with their calories showing. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. (Los Angeles Times)
- Pack a Picnic for Your Next Flight <<When I travel planning for my meals is just as important as packing my bags. Here’s some fun tips to keep you from eating junk. (New York Times)
- Obesity is contagious, or is it? A sober second look at obesity and social networks. <<Interesting new study challenges the claim that obesity is contagious. (Weighty Matters)
- Watermelon and Fennel Salad <<How good does this look?! Yum. (Jenn Cuisine)
- Really? Scientist Creates Shit Sandwich? <<I really think this is a joke. The fridge they use is actually labeled “shit burger.” Bon appetit! (Marler Blog)
What inspired you this week?