My goal at the farmers market today was to get everything I need to survive the next few days at the annual neuroscience department retreat at the Asilomar conference grounds in Monterey, CA. Last year they served us some of the most unspeakably disgusting food I’ve ever eaten in my life, and budget cuts forecast this year to be even worse.
Almost certainly I’ll be stuck eating fewer calories than usual, but I like to have a few of my own things to make sure I am at least somewhat nourished. For a complete rundown of what I’m bringing, watch the 3 minute video clip below.
How do you survive conferences and events that serve horrible food?
Since I also won’t be cooking dinners or making salads at work for the next few days, I didn’t buy my usual cornucopia of vegetables this week. But I certainly wanted to!
The seasons are changing before my eyes. Autumn fruits like pomegranates, pears, grapes and apples are downright abundant. You can also find pumpkins, carrots and beets, all wonderful for roasting in the fall. (Try this recipe for delicious roasted beets with mint and chevre).
I even found chestnuts at K & J Orchards!
I learned today that Brussels sprout season is early this year (it usually starts in October-November). I decided to buy some since I know they will keep well until I return on Tuesday. They are really small right now, which is how you want them for the best taste. I used to hate Brussels sprouts, but have since learned the error of my ways.
The good news for those of us who adore summer produce is that most of it is still spectacular. Tomatoes, peaches, plums, zucchini, melon, peppers (oh the peppers!), eggplant, figs, okra and green beans are what I’m going to focus on for the next few weeks while they are still around.
Oh, and if you’re a fan of paw paws, Langier Ranches made up some paw paw ice cream you can get for only $1!
- Hawaiian apple (Devoto Gardens)
- Empire apple (Devoto Gardens)
- Mutsu apple (DeVoto Gardens)
- Asian pears (Paredez Farms)
- Taylor’s gold pears (Frog Hollow Farm)
- Emerald beaut pluots (Frog Hollow Farm)
- Summerset peach (Frog Hollow Farm)
- Corn (Catalán Family Farm)
- Brussels sprouts (Iacopi Farm)
- Tokyo turnips (Dirty Girl Produce)
- Baby savoy cabbage (Dirty Girl Produce)
- Cipollini onions (Dirty Girl Produce)
- Pimento pepper (Happy Quail Farms)
- Sweet cheese pimento (Happy Quail Farms)
What did you find at the farmers market this week?